Best Electric Screwdrivers For Home & DIY
Electric screwdrivers have become the staple for every home. If you purchase your furniture from IKEA then you know the feel of having to tighten all those screws. But not even just that, DIY projects are becoming more and more popular. The best electric screwdrivers can also help you at repairing things around your house. It really is the best product for saving time and making life easier with house chores.
Most electric screwdrivers even come cordless now, so you don’t have to worry about wires when dealing with your hobbies. The cordless electric screwdrivers are super lightweight and can be used on even the smallest projects. They have also become quite affordable. The best electric screwdrivers will last you forever. So it is best to invest in a brand that has great build quality and price. The problem is that not all brands are great. That is why I have created this review to list the best electric screwdrivers in every price range.
Best Electric Screwdrivers
Before you jump to spending money, you want to know exactly what you are buying. I have provided the most important features and technical specifications of every cordless screwdriver. I have also named my favorite one which definitely will not disappoint you. Either way, all electric screwdrivers will last you a life time!
|Black & Decker LI2000||4.2/5||180 RPM||40 in-lbs||Check Amazon|
|Black & Decker PD600||4.2/5||180/600 RPM||80/40 in-lbs||Check Amazon|
|DEWALT DW920K-2||4.7/5||0-500 RPM||80 in-lbs||Check Amazon|
|Bosch DDS181-02||4.5/5||0-1700 RPM||600 in-lbs||Check Amazon|
|Makita DF010DSE||4.2/5||200/650 RPM||44 in-lbs||Check Amazon|
1. Under $25 – Black & Decker LI2000
Black & Decker is a great brand that is known for making high quality power tools for home. Their LI2000 is one of the best bang for buck electric screwdrivers in the under $25 price range. It is also ranked as the best selling screwdriver on Amazon!
What makes this so good is both the build quality and design. It is super small and ultra light. It also has a 3 position handle that provides you access even in the tightest spaces. When using the handle in a straight position, you also gain access to places you might not reach otherwise. Such as messing around with the lamp in your living room.
The Black & Decker LI2000 cordless screwdriver comes with a built-in LiOn battery and of course a charger. You can’t replace the battery but it lasts for quite long. This screwdriver also comes with some useful features. Such as having both the forward and reverse switch. You will also receive a Philips head bit and a standard flat head bit. At the moment, the Black & Decker LI2000 electric screwdriver is available for $20 on Amazon.
More information: Black & Decker LI2000 review
2. Under $50 – Black & Decker PD600
The Black & Decker is the best brand in the under $50 range as well. This time however the PD600 cordless screwdriver model that is available on Amazon for $26. So as you see it is still pretty far off from the $50. Sadly this is the case with power tools. There is a pretty large gap between the more basic home use and heavy duty power tools.
The Black & Decker PD600 is still a great electric screwdriver though. It has received 4.3 stars out of 5 on Amazon! So what makes it different from the LI2000. Well there are some extra added features. The design is pretty much the same on both of them. The only difference is that the PD600 is bigger and thus heavier. It still has the flexible head. In addition, the added size comes from a bigger battery. Which is still sadly built-in. The bigger battery will definitely come useful though.
Another extra feature they have added is an integrated LED light. This comes pretty handy if you need to work in a dark room without electricity. They have also added slots for your driver head bits so they are always with you. Everything else is pretty much the same though so choosing between the PD600 and LI2000 comes down to personal preference. For me I wanted something smaller so I got the LI2000. Either way though, both of them are very good cordless screwdrivers so you won’t be disappointed in either of them.
3. Tacklife SDP50DC
Another fantastic option in the under $50 range is also the Tacklife SDP50DC cordless screwdriver. It’s a bit more expensive than the Black & Decker PD600 but you also get some extras, such as 31 pieces of different driving bits! So it’s a great overall package for anyone that hasn’t owned an electric screwdriver before.
It’s also currently the most sold cordless screwdrivers on Amazon. There is also a difference however compared to most of the other tools here. The Tacklife SDP50DC features the pretty basic gun design that’s often seen with the cheaper screwdrivers. Still, it’s a good design if you don’t mind not having access in tight places. I personally don’t mind it and usually use it for more basic jobs. And it does them well. A huge plus is also that the SDP50DC can be charged with a USB cable, which is fantastic for homes in my opinion.
Tacklife has even added a LED light so you can also use it in the dark. Besides that, you get a ton of driver bits. Which is really useful if you haven’t owned an electric screwdriver before. As you’ll often find yourself with different screws, and there are some size differences. So that is definitely a plus to consider for Tacklife.
More information: Tacklife SDP50DC review
4. Under $100 – DEWALT DW920K-2
DEWALT is an American power tool brand that specializes in heavy duty tools for professionals. The DEWALT DW920K-2 is their best electric screwdriver that has 80 inch-pounds of torque. This screwdriver is seriously powerful and can handle even the hardest job.
The DW920K-2 has kind of a similar design as the Black + Decker LI2000. The handle is adjustable so you can either use it straight or as a “pistol”. The screwdriver comes with a standard flat head and a Philips head. The head bits can be changed easily thanks to the quick release hex head.
The main reason I personally prefer the DEWALT DW920K-2 over the Black + Decker LI2000 is the battery. Besides the two head bits, you also get two batteries with the screwdriver. They aren’t built-in so you can always change them. It also takes around an hour to fully charge a battery again so pretty fast. The DEWALT DW920K-2 is available on Amazon for $74. The most impressive part about this deal is that you will also get a full 3 year warranty!
5. Under $150 – Bosch DDS181-02 (Overall Best Electric Screwdriver)
If you are looking for a serious power tool then the Bosch DDS181-02 is the best electric screwdriver available. It includes the features of both a screwdriver and a drill! The heavy-duty power tool has a four-pole motor that has no problem drilling even steel. The motor is almost 8 times more powerful than all the other models. It produces up to 600 in-lbs of torque. That is more than enough.
While the Bosch is powerful, they have kept the design simple and light. The screwdriver/drill has a comfortable shape that doesn’t make your arms or wrists hurt. Even when working all day. The best electric screwdriver also comes with two batteries. So you can always keep one battery charging. The batteries also have a surprisingly short charge time and they last much longer than average. You will also get a 2 year warranty on the batteries and 1 year on the power tool.
The Bosch DDS181-02 also comes with a case for storing your electric screwdriver/drill and accessories that come with it. All of this comes with a pretty hefty price tag of $147 on Amazon. So if you are looking for the best electric screwdriver and have the money to invest, then the Bosch DDS181-02 is definitely the best product available.
More information: Bosch DDS181-02 review
6. Under $200 – Makita DF010DSE
Makita is a Japanese power tool company that is known for their really high quality. They even assemble their products in North America. That and their strive for quality is probably why their electric screwdriver is the most expensive one on the market. Not that much more expensive than the Bosch though! The Makita DF010DSE is available on Amazon for $156.
Design wise, the Makita’s cordless screwdriver has a similar style as the DEWALT and Black & Decker. Again the adjustable head which allows you to either use it as straight or pistol. The difference is that the flexible joint feels more solid and stronger. Other than that though, pretty similar.
The real difference is in the inside. This cordless screwdriver delivers up to 44lbs of torque. You can also choose between 2 speeds: 200RPM and 650RPM. With this amount of power, the screwdriver is also capable of being used as a drill. Just like the Bosch DDS181-02. The screwdriver comes with two head bits, two batteries and a charger. You also get a 3 year warranty on the screwdriver and 1 year on the battery and charger. Which one would I choose though? Well personally I prefer the Bosch DDS181-02. I just like the design more and it feels more solid (the flexible Makita head). It’s also easier to hold onto when drilling. I would only recommend getting the Makita if you are looking for the highest quality screwdriver with a flexible head.
Key Features To Check
If you feel like wanting a different electric screwdriver than what we listed here, then there are some key features you should check. These features will make sure that you get the best possible screwdriver for your money.
- Size – The market is full of different size cordless electric screwdrivers. They range from as small as fit in your pocket to bigger more powerful. Which one you should pick, mostly depends on the work you plan on mostly doing with it. For example if you are looking for a screwdriver for smaller electronic projects, then you will probably want one as small as possible. For everyday home use though, get something bigger.
- Shape – There are 3 main shapes for electric screwdrivers: pistol, straight and a mix of them. The most typical cordless screwdriver is probably the pistol type. They are easier to hold when having to work with wood. Straight screwdrivers are usually smaller and for simpler jobs, such as electronics. The mix of them two are more versatile. The downside of them though is that the flexible joint can get loose over time and it won’t work as well.
- Changing speed – Having the option to change speed is very useful. You have much more control this way. For example you can change the speed based on the material you are working with. Or maybe you want lower speed when assembling smaller details and you are scared of breaking them. Like plastic for example.
- Reverse – When looking for an electric screwdriver, make sure that it can be put on reverse. This is standard and should be on every best electric screwdriver. It will just make your life so much easier not having to unscrew by hand. I know it sounds like common sense, but sadly not all screwdrivers have this feature.
- Battery – Battery life is one of the most important technical aspect of any cordless power tool. If you use the screwdriver just now and then, then it probably won’t be an issue. If you use it more often though and for longer periods of time then you might want to look at electric screwdrivers that have a battery module. This way you can just buy an extra battery and always keep one fully charged.
Tips For Cordless Screwdrivers
The most important part of any electric cordless screwdriver is the battery. Below are some tips to help you use the power tool more comfortably and keep the battery lasting longer.
- Cordless screwdriver with multiple batteries – If possible, purchase the cordless screwdriver with 2 batteries straight away. This way you will get two of the same batteries and you don’t have to go searching for other ones and having to worry if they fit. You can keep the spare battery charged when using your other one. This way you will never have to wait until your battery is fully charged.
- Lithium-ion (Li-On) batteries – Always get Li-On batteries. They are more expensive than Li-Po but they also last way longer, are lighter and generally stronger.
- Don’t wait for 0% – Don’t let your batteries fully deplete. Letting the batteries go to 0% before charging will decrease their lifetime. A good rule of thumb is to charge at around 20%. The best electric screwdrivers usually have a protection on as well which don’t let the battery reach 0% anyway. They will stop working way before that.